Site announcements

WEDNESDAY - 26 JULY 2023 DAY 7

WEDNESDAY - 26 JULY 2023 DAY 7

by Mr V DLAMINI -
Number of replies: 0

RHS ESSENTIAL

This term, we will discuss the qualities of highly successful teenagers. Read the posts daily and attempt to engage with the trait for the day. After all, the aim of your education is to guarantee your success in the future.

Success Quality 5: RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY AND OTHERS

Throughout your life, there will be people who are in positions above you: parents, older siblings, teachers, supervisors, managers and governmental authority figures. Respect for authority is an honourable character trait. The opposite of respect for authority is rebellion. When you rebel you can expect poor results and unnecessary hardship. At RHS, we strive to demonstrate respect for authority! 

happy birthday

Today's Birthdays:

Serole Dibatane (Grade 9)
Molebogeng Ganyane (Grade 10)
Tshepang Hlatshwayo (Grade 10)
Refilwe Jack (Grade 11)
Mpumelelo Kozana (Grade 10)
Khanyisile Magwebu (Grade 9)
Keabetswe manaka (Grade 11)
Makgotso Mokotedi (Grade 10)
Nhlanhla Ngema (Grade 12)
Nthabiseng Thanwane (Grade 8)
Jaron Van Der Merwe (Grade 9)

history

2000: A Concorde supersonic airplane—Air France flight 4590—crashed outside Paris, killing all 109 people on board and four others on the ground; the event was believed to have hastened the end of all Concorde operations three years later.

1992The 25th Summer Olympics opens in Barcelona, Spain

1990Members of the ANC and SACP are detained due to Operation Vula

1984: Soviet cosmonaut Svetlana Yevgenyevna Savitskaya became the first woman to walk in space.

1971Joe Kachingwe is appointed Malawi’s first Ambassador to South Africa

news

Gordhan says he’s busy fixing Transnet, not posting on Twitter

Public enterprises minister hits back at Fikile Mbalula over criticism of the slow pace of turning the rail and port operator around

Public enterprises minister Pravin Gordhan says his department is working hard to fix Transnet. Picture: BUSINESS DAY/Fereddy Mavunda

Public enterprises minister Pravin Gordhan says his department is working hard to fix Transnet. Picture: BUSINESS DAY/Fereddy Mavunda

Public enterprises minister Pravin Gordhan has hit back at criticism that his department isn’t doing enough to turn around the performance of Transnet, saying there was “a lot of hard work happening behind the scenes”. 
Speaking on Radio 702, Gordhan said: “[Because] we do not issue statements every day, and people like me are not on Twitter, it does not mean work is not happening ... there are limits to what each individual sector can do.”
is comments come after ANC secretary-general Fikile Mbalula on Friday warned that the slow pace of improvements at the state-owned port and rail operator could cost Gordhan his job. 
“I’m going to say to Pravin Gordhan, I was with him there, I was also a minister of transport: ‘Comrade Pravin, move faster or otherwise we will move you,’” said Mbalula, who regularly uses social media to comment on political issues.

Gordhan said his department had the political will to confront the shortcomings at Transnet. Transnet’s board, which includes chair Andile Sangqu, a former member of Anglo American and Tongaat executive boards, should help with addressing its issues, he added.
The group has also announced Philippine company International Container Terminal Services Inc as the preferred bidder for a 25-year joint venture with Transnet Port Terminals to develop and upgrade Durban Container Terminal Pier 2.
Minerals Council SA has estimated the country’s bulk commodity producers missed out on R50bn in revenues in 2022 due to problems at Transnet, which include poor maintenance, a shortage of locomotives and vandalism.

“When you are trying to patch together a broken organisation where most of the money was spent illicitly on deals, it takes time, effort and a lot of courage to move out the wrong people from Transnet, but it is now on the right footing,” he said. 
“I think we have a good mixture of people who are represented on the board. With the new board, we will instil a new sense of emergency and those who want to stand in the way of change and increase transparency about the problems we have will have to be dealt with in a very emphatic kind of way,” Gordhan said.
Mbalula told the on Monday that Gordhan had reported him to President Cyril Ramaphosa after his remarks. 
Mbalula said his comments weren’t criticism of Gordhan but an illustration of the urgency of resolving rail issues. 

“It was not an attack. It was an illustration we need to move with speed. It was not an attack on comrade Pravin as a person,” Mbalula said. 
“I singled out an area he deals with, which is logistics and freight, and I was talking about the Reserve Bank and the repo rate, and the issue they point to is we need to move with speed with regards to logistics and freight, and we need to move with speed with regards to load-shedding. 
“We must see progress when it comes to those matters because they are a major impediment to the growth of our economy.”