Site announcements

TUESDAY -23 MAY 2023 DAY 2

TUESDAY -23 MAY 2023 DAY 2

by Mr V DLAMINI -
Number of replies: 0

RHS ESSENTIAL 

How to improve your marks

Tip #7: Improve your essay-writing skills

Another common reason for academic underperformance is that the student’s essay-writing skills aren’t sufficient for the level required to achieve top grades. This is fairly easily fixed by improving your essay-writing technique. Good essay technique covers all aspects of essay-writing, from the research phase to the final proofread, and even how you respond to the feedback you get for your essays. Responding in the right way to feedback – and not taking criticism personally – will be particularly useful if you feel you’re underperforming, as this should give you the guidance you need to be able to improve.

https://www.oxford-royale.com/articles/improve-underperforming-grades/

Today's Birthdays:

Nonhlanhla Jojo (Grade 12)
Makgotso Kolobe (Grade 11)
Bokamoso Legodi (Grade 12)
Zanele Mabaso (Grade 11)
Uthandiwe Mjangqeka (Grade 11)
Thabang Segale (Grade 10)
Reneilwe Sesiko (Grade 11)
Silindokuhle Tyolo (Grade 9)

2000: American rapper Eminem released The Marshall Mathers LP, which became the fastest-selling album in the history of rap.

1983South African Air Force bombs ANC in Maputo

1951China formally annexed Tibet as an autonomous region on this day in 1951, giving rise to a Tibetan independence movement—led by the Dalai Lama, winner of the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize—that continued into the early 21st century.

1934Bonnie and Clyde, notorious American outlaws, were killed in a police shoot-out near Gibsland, Louisiana.

1926Joe Slovo is born

1699Sheikh Yusuf, regarded as the founder of the Islamic faith in the Cape, dies at Zandvliet (Macassar)

Deadly cholera outbreak: Govt to probe Hammanskraal water crisis as Parys residents plead for help

• Some victims of the diarrhoea outbreak in Parys and Vredefort believe it could have been caused by the water supplied by Ngwathe municipality.
  • Two women were among some mothers who had rushed their toddlers to a local clinic for help.
  • About 76 people were seen at local health institutions, and three were confirmed positive for cholera. 
  • The Department of Water and Sanitation has announced that it will investigate the causes behind water problems in Hammanskraal, north of Pretoria.
    On Monday, the health department said 15 people who suffered from diarrhoea, stomach cramps and vomiting in Hammanskraal have died.
    Deputy Health Minister Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo, Deputy Water and Sanitation Minister David Mahlobo and Gauteng Health MEC Nomantu Nkomo-Ralehoko visited Jubilee District Hospital in Hammanskraal on Monday.
    They visited the area to assess the situation and kick-start government intervention plans to combat cholera outbreaks. Mahlobo said a team of experts had been established. 
    "That team will be in a position to do a follow-up with water problems in this area. While the investigation is continuing, there will be an immediate task of provision of water for the communities affected," he said.
    The minister said the Tshwane metro assured the delegation there were sufficient water trucks to distribute water to affected communities.
    "We have also agreed that we will run some tests with a reputable institution. We will deal with issues of engagements with our communities." 
     Mahlobo said the department had created a command centre to bring in different spheres and expertise. 
    "There will be multidisciplinary teams established at the technical level. We will have a stream dealing with issues of health. The issues of scanning and mobility so that this matter could be contained in one environment, which the Ministry of Health leads.
    "A team [from the social development department will] give social relief to families who have lost their loved ones. Another team will be dealing with issues of water and sanitation," Mahlobo said.
    Dhlomo said there were 41 positive cases of Cholera countrywide.
    "We had one case in Limpopo, six cases in Parys, Free State, and 34 cases where we are. There are 15 confirmed deaths. We hope for people to survive because of interventions," he said.
    He said the plan announced by Mahlobo was beneficial for the department. 
    "We will leave the challenge of water to the experts. I am delighted that we are not here alone, but we have this support of creating a base on how to intervene. An alert has been issued to all provinces to treat any diarrhoea as if it's Cholera. Cholera is different. It is a rapid dehydration," he said.

Cases in the Free State
    Residents in Tumahole and other areas in Parys have spoken of the hardships they face trying to steer clear of contaminated water.
    They told News24 they could often not afford to buy clean water.
    They added that power cuts prevented them from boiling water to ensure it was safe to drink.
    Tumahole resident Maria Matsoso, 54, said nurses had warned them not to drink tap water. 

'I have never been to the toilet as often as I did'
    Matsoso lay on her bed wrapped in a blanket, complaining about feeling cold and a loss of appetite, when News24 visited her on Monday.
    Matsoso is among many residents of Parys and Vredefort who have been affected by the diarrhoeal infection in the two neighbouring towns.
    "I thought that it would stop. It didn't. On 12 May, I ran to the toilet non-stop with a running stomach. I took it lightly and thought it would end. The following day it continued. 
    “On 16 May, I could not take it anymore. I was vomiting, had stomach cramps, and frequented the toilet more often. I was then rushed to the Parys Hospital. I have never been to the toilet as often as I did," Matsoso said.
    She spent four days at the hospital and was discharged on Sunday.
    "There were three women in our ward complaining about the same problem. Nurses said we were infected by a virus that has taken over in Parys and Vredefort. They said they were conducting tests on the origin of our problem.
    “They also claimed our illness could be linked to water consumption. Our water here is dirty. It stinks. Even after boiling it, the stench doesn't go away. I am worried that my problem will repeat itself because of our water.
    "We can't afford to buy water from shops. We even struggle to boil water as we were advised because of load shedding,” said Matsoso.