Site announcements

TUESDAY - 12 APRIL 2022 - DAY 6

TUESDAY - 12 APRIL 2022 - DAY 6

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

RHS ESSENTIAL 

Academic success at high school is based on your ability to read and to continually improve your reading skills. Over the next few days, we will investigate helpful tips for improving your reading skills.

5. Take it a Step Further

So you’ve read a whole passage? That’s great! Now put it into your own words. This will prove that you have an understanding of what you’ve read. Use your own examples and relate what you have learnt. It’s not just paraphrasing. You should be able to prove your reasoning.

https://www.skillsacademy.co.za/tips-to-improve-your-reading-skills/

TODAY'S BIRTHDAYS

Lerato Kutoane (Grade 9) 

Nhlanhla Kwezi (Grade 11) 

Onalenna Seane (Grade 9) 

Khanyisile Shabangu (Grade 12) 

Khanya Tekwane (Grade 10) 

Botlhale Thusi (Grade 9)

HISTORY

1981NASA launched the first space shuttle, Columbia, which was designed to orbit Earth, transport people and cargo to and from orbiting spacecraft, and glide to a runway landing on its return to Earth.

1961: Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first human in outer space.

1942Jacob Zuma, Former President of South Africa and of the ANC, is born.

NEWS

Canned chicken feet now on the shelves – are South Africans keen?

From baked beans to tuna, canned foods are in just about anyone’s pantry, but how willing are people to try canned chicken feet?
Thabo Baloyi

It has been just under two months sinceShoprite began selling canned chicken feet and necks at its stores around the country, but just how popular have they become amongst South Africans.

The product is manufactured by Tin Stuf, a canning company based in Limpopo – and the brains behind it is 26-year-old Eiren Drake and his late grandfather Spencer Drake.
Drake signed a three-year deal with Shoprite in February to sell his canned chicken feet with the multi-billion rand retailer.
“As a small business owner and my very first engagement with formal retail in the corporate space, it has been an absolute honour and great privilege to work under the guidance of the Shoprite team. They haven’t just had a significant impact on the future of our small business, but rather, Shoprite has become the future on which the existence of our business is now based,” he said.

WHAT DO SOUTH AFRICANS THINK OF CANNED CHICKEN FEET?

Chicken feet and necks are commonly sold by hawkers in the townships and are often considered a cheaper alternative to the also popular frozen chicken pieces. The big question is, what does the intended market make of them?
Grace Mukhari, a retired teacher from Atteridgeville admits she hasn’t purchased the product and doesn’t plan on doing so anytime soon.

“Canned chicken feet? I don’t think that is such a good idea. There is a lady who has been selling chicken feet a few streets from my house for years now. She is reliable and affordable, plus her goods are fresh. Who knows how long those chicken feet and necks stay in the can for. But I do like my tinned fish and baked beans though,” she said.

While Mpho Mulaudzi, who works for an insurance company in Centurion, says he first tried them in Limpopo and appreciates the convenience as his schedule makes cooking almost impossible.
“It’s not perfect. I’m from Limpopo so I prefer my chicken feet fresh and not from a can, but I like that I can just pop them into a bowl and heat them up before enjoying with pap,” he said.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/breaking-canned-chicken-feet-south-africa-latest/